This is a long time we have to wait for iOS 12 jailbreak. Finally the wait is over! A famous tweak developers Jake James released RootlessJB for iOS 12. It allow us to jailbreak iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 12 easily.
RootlessJB as the name indicates it won’t require for us to have the root access to jailbreak the iOS device. We can install Cydia tweaks on iOS 12 devices even if we don’t have the root access to the device.
Though Rootless JB is there in jailbreak community from long time, Its got real popularity after Jake James released RootlessJB 3.0. Though we can jailbreak the iOS device with previous versions, There is no method to install Cydia tweaks. Anyways, There is no point in jailbreaking the device if we can’t install the Cydia tweaks. The latest version 3.0 Ian Beer and Brandon Azad exploits to inject Cydia tweak.
ROOTLESSJB – A SIMPLE WAY TO JAILBREAK IOS 12
Tradition jailbreak tools such as Electra will have the root access to the iOS filesystem. This traditional jailbreaks have the full control over the iOS filesystem as it has both read and write access to it.
Unlike tradition root jailbreak, RootlessJB doesn’t have write access to the filesystem. It can only read the filesystem. As a result, the functionalities of Rootless JB low compared to traditional root jailbreaks at this moment.
As the developers are working on it, I am sure they are going bring this jailbreak to the next level where there is no difference between jailbreak with root access or without root access. Meanwhile, we can use it as a substitute for jailbreak with root access on iOS 12 until it releases.
Update: A new package manager Packager released. You can directly install tweaks from it.
It supports all the A9, A10 and A11 iDevices running on iOS 12.0 to iOS 12.1.2 (i.e, iOS 12.0, iOS 12.0.1, iOS 12.1, iOS 12.1.1, iOS 12.1.2).
We can jailbreak iPhone 6S & 6S plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7 & 7 Plus, iPhone 8 & 8Plus, iPhone X, 5th generation iPad, iPad pro 1st and 2nd generation devices using RootlessJB iOS app. Please understand that all these devices should be running on compatible firmware given above.
INSTALL ROOTLESSJB FOR IOS
In order to jailbreak iPhone, iPad, iPod touch running on iOS 12 to iOS 12.1.2, we need to install Rootless JB app. Follow the simple instructions given below to install the application without any hassle.
- Open safari browser on your iOS device. Please understand that other browsers won’t support the installation process.
- Go to our download page.
- Tap the install button given on that page.
- A small prompt will appear on the screen. Tap install option to confirm the installation process.
- It will take some time to finish the installation process.
- Installation will be completed once the app icon turns completely bright.
- Now RootlessJB app is installed. We can’t open the app directly as it is from external sources. To open the app,
- Go to Settings.
- Tap General.
- Select Profile and Device Management.
- Choose profile related to RootlessJb app and tap on trust.
- Tap trust option on the confirmation prompt appeared.
Now the app ready to use. We are going to use this application jailbreak your iDevice running on iOS 12.
HOW TO JAILBREAK IOS 12 WITH ROOTLESSJB
This application has very user-friendly interface thus very easy to use. Here’s how to jailbreak iPhone, iPad, iPod touch running on iOS 12 to iOS 12.1.2
- Open RootlessJB iOS app.
- Turn ON Tweak option (Ignore this step if its already ON).
- Now tap on JAILBREAK button on the screen.
- Wait for some time. Your iOS device will respring soon.
- Your iOS device automatically kept in jailbreak mode, Once the SpringBoard restarts.
Now the device is jailbroken successfully. Lets look at how we can install tweaks using this jailbreak.
HOW TO INSTALL TWEAKS ON IOS WITH ROOTLESSJB
Unlike traditional root jailbreak tool kits, this jailbreak does not have any built-in package manager. So, We need to install tweaks manually which is bit difficult for newbies. In additions to this we need to patch the tweaks before going to install them. But you don’t need to worry about patching anymore as majorelement (@56aluminium) placed all working and compatible tweaks which are already patched in Google Drive. You can get all the tweaks from the link given below.
- GeoFilza app. Get it from here. You can get it from app signing services like TweakBox or Ignition.fun. If you have PC, You download GeoFilza.ipa file from here and install it with the help of Cydia Impactor. Once you install the application, make sure you trust the profile of GeoFilza from Settings>>General>>Profile & Device Management.
- UnZip app. It is available in the app store. If you are unable to find it, you can use this link.
- Go to the Google drive link given above. Select any tweak and tap the download button on top right corner of the screen.
- Now you can see Open in “Unzip” option. Tap on it.
- Now the ZIP file will open with Unzip application. Tap on the Zip file to extract it.
- Lauch GeoFilza app now. Wait for few seconds as it may take some time to launch and stabilize.
- Navigate to Var/ mobile/ containers/ data/ application/ unzip/ documents/ location on your Filza app. Find the files related to the tweak.
- Now take another window on Filza application and navigate to Var/ containers/ bundle/ tweaksupport/ library.
- Now copy all files on first directory to second directory. Please understand that you need to copy every single file on first directory to the same folder of second window. For example if you copy file from <Tweak Name>/ Library/MobileSubtrate/Dinamic Libraries folder on first window, You need to paste it on Library/MobileSubtrate/Dymamic Libraries folder on second window.
- Copy files from all the four folders in first window to second.
- Once copying process finished, Go to Mobilesubstrate folder on second window and find .dylib file of tweak you want to install. Tap i icon next .dylib file. A small prompt appear on the scree. Scroll down and find Sticky option. You can find it under Access permissions. Tap on Sticky option and change its value to 0777 and tap on save.
- Now scroll down. You can find Group option under OWNERSHIP. Tap on it. Change it’s permission to 20.staff and save.
- Now reboot your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch device.
- Once the device is successfully rebooted, Open RootlessJB app and rejailbreak your device again.
- The tweak will function automatically once the jailbreak process finished.
Currently developers working on new tweak manager Insidious for RootlessJB. Once it is released, It will be very easy for us to jailbreak and install the tweaks without having to go through all this tedious process.
Q1) Do I get confirmation when jailbreak completed?
No. At this moment developer didn’t added any feature in the app to confirm whether the device is running under jailbreak mode or not.
Q2) Does this jailbreak won’t have any write permission on the filesystem?
RootlessJB has read and write access till /Var. After /Var this jailbreak just has read access.
Q3) Can I install tweaks using this jailbreak?
Yes. We can install tweaks using this jailbreak. It supports many tweaks.
Q4) Is there is built-in package manager?
There is no built-in package manager available at this moment. Insidious which is suppose to be a package manager is under the development at this moment.
Q5) Does this jailbreak supports A12 devices like iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, or iPhone XR?
Though Brandon’s exploits are compatible with A12 devices, RootlessJB itself it not compatible with them. Developers are working on making it compatible with A12 devices.
RootlessJB is what jailbreak community is looking for in the future as it leaves minimum traces in the system. Moreover, we can also revert the iOS device back to stock with simple uninstall process. As development progresses further, it won’t be any less to jailbreak with root access. Give it a try. I am sure you are going to love it.